1 can coconut cream (75% coconut milk or greater is best)
3 Tablespoons cocoa / cacao
2-3 Tablespoons honey / icing sugar
- Put the can of coconut cream in the fridge.
- Wait at least 10 minutes (or keep some cans in there for always...wise!).
- Open up that can and place all of the thickened cream inside into a medium-sized bowl. The water/liquid at the bottom may be reserved for use in smoothies or cooking, you won't need it for the mousse.
- Add your other two ingredients and whip for 3 minutes or until you have a moussey consistency (you'll know...oh, you'll know).
Extra stuff I want to say
- This is really rich.
- It is cheap.
- Also: easy.
- Many are arguing coconut has all sorts of magical properties. Add cacao and a medicinal honey (e.g. Manuka), and this is practically a health food. Right?
- I have tried both honey and icing sugar to sweeten. I prefer the added dimension of flavour from the honey, Haki likes it better with the choco-coconut combo alone.
- Which brands of coconut cream work? Here's a whole post on it, if you're after more info. The consistency of the coconut cream is the key to success -- some brands labelled "Coconut Cream" will not thicken into a solid plug of cream. In New Zealand, you can buy Pams Coconut Cream and it will work (not the "lite" varieties), but Trident's offering will not work. I've had one can of Homebrand that wasn't as creamy, but Pam's and Solo's Choice have worked consistently. The safest bet is to check the ingredients list; 52% coconut milk = won't work (Trident), 75% = you're (usually) in business. You can also invert the can in store to see if you've got sloshing liquid or a plug of thickness in there, for kicks. When you do open it, once cooled, you'll know immediately if it's going to work -- it'll have a thick plug, or runny cream -- if the latter, tip it into another container for curry, that won't whip nicely. Best brand I've found: Fia Fia.
- This is a great short notice dessert, since you can store canned coconut cream a lot longer than you can keep cream at the ready.
- And it's dairy free? Wha'?! Awes'. It can also be Vegan and gluten-free!
- Pure Maple syrup could be a good sweetener.
- I'm gonna try it with some vanilla next time.
- I'm going to buy more coconut cream now...